Which cancer-causing foods still lurk in your fridge or pantry? Cancer of all types seems to be taking over. In just 10 seconds, I can name 5 people I know who’ve had cancer. If I put effort and a few more minutes into it, I’m sure I could name 20 or more. While ultimately our fates are in God’s hands, we have the power to – and responsibility of – influencing our fates.
You see, our bodies were created as temples, right? So if we keep treating them like garbage disposals or some other mechanical but nonliving device, they will become exactly that. It may seem like you’re getting by and healthy enough for now, but it could be just a matter of time before your device begins to break down.
Is cancer potentially a matter of choices?
The following information comes from an article on thetruthaboutcancer.com.
According to the article:
- In 2012, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported more than 14 million new cases of cancer, which resulted in more than 8.2 million deaths worldwide.
- WHO expects these numbers to skyrocket over the next twenty years by 70% globally.
- Experts estimate that more than half of cancer cases are preventable with lifestyle changes.
That means the 8.2 million deaths in 2012 could have been 1.2 million instead, given some changes in lifestyles.
When asked what causes cancer in cells, Bob Wright from the American Anti-Cancer Institute replied, “Cancer is caused by chemicals and radiation. You can explode that out to many different types of chemicals whether it’s what you put in your body, what you breath, what you eat, radiation from all sources − women from mammograms, from CT scans, from your cell phones, your cell towers, your Wi-Fi. Cancer is caused by chemicals and radiation, period.”
What we can take away from this is yes, cancer could be a matter of our lifestyle choices, and we should consider the following lifestyle changes:
- getting more access to cleaner air.
- eating cleaner food while avoiding cancer-causing foods.
- less exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) and radiation through less use of cell phones, Wi-Fi devices, x-rays and CT scans.
It’s also critical to our health to get ample sleep – good, restorative sleep – because that’s when our bodies do the most healing.
Granted, making the healthier lifestyle choices will not guarantee you won’t get cancer. But if we keep layering on the toxins through less healthy choices, we are surely setting our bodies up to fail.
Call it quits with these cancer-causing foods
Doctors and experts who work closely with cancer patients advise us to avoid certain foods in an attempt to prevent the onset (or assumedly) return of cancer.
Rankings of these cancer-causing foods may vary slightly from one list to another. But these ingredients top many lists:
- genetically modified organisms (GMOs) – living things that have had their DNA altered using genetic engineering
- soda, because of the corn syrup, which is usually a GMO, and aspartame, which is equated to rat poison, as well as other artificial sweeteners
- artificial sweeteners – aspartame (Equal, NutraSweet, NatraTaste Blue), sucralose (Splenda), acesulfame K (ACE K, Sunette, Equal Spoonful), Sweet One, Sweet ‘n Safe, saccharin (Sweet ‘N Low, Sweet Twin), galactose, sorbitol, xylitol
- trans fats, which often come from hydrogenated oils
- microwave popcorn, due to the GMOs, chemicals in the bag linings and toxic fumes emitted when the artificial butter flavoring is heated
In addition, we should also avoid or limit these cancer-causing foods:
- artificial food dyes – Blue 1, Blue 2, Green 3, Red 3, Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, FD&C Lakes, Citrus Red 2
- grilled red meat, because the longer it’s cooked, the more it releases a carcinogen
- refined sugar, with high fructose corn syrup being the worst for you (I say regular corn syrup too, because it is also typically a GMO)
- farmed fish (particularly salmon) due to the antibiotics, pesticides and other chemicals used
- hydrogenated oils because chemicals are used for both extraction and treatment of them, and they are a main source of trans fats
- canned goods that contain BPA in the lining
- white flour because cancer cells thrive off of simple sugars
- processed meats – which are of course highly processed, but also often contain nitrates and other additives
- Too much alcohol
This list may not be that surprising, as we are all getting more health-conscious. What may be surprising though, is how much you don’t miss these foods when you’ve avoided them for a while. We have so many other, more nurturing and delicious options.
A world of whole, organically grown food choices surround us. We can grill red meat for less time or cook it another way. We can opt for fresh, wild-caught fish. We can choose healthier versions of sodas, drink less alcohol and pop our organic popcorn in an air popper.
We have the solutions. We have the products and produce. We just need to embrace and pass along the right attitudes! Let’s control the one thing we are meant to control – the food we put in our bodies – in hopes of building them up as temples and not running them ragged like rusting machines.
So what are you waiting for?! My book, Digested – eating healthier made easier 3 ways, will help get you on the right path in no time!
*This blog is intended for use as a source of information and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care or advice.